The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Grace [Episcopal] Church
Newark, Essex County

  

Grace Church is one of the many jewels of Newark. Designed by Richard Upjohn in 1848, 11 years after the congregation was organized, it was the second Episcopal church built in Newark. Although it is not modeled after a 14th century English Gothic church, as Episcopal Bishop George Washington Doane preferred, it embodies many of the elements promoted by the Ecclesiology movement in the Anglican church, including the steeply pitched roof, the long narrow nave with side aisles, a deep chancel, transept, and narrow, pointed (Gothic) windows. Compare this to the nave of Trinity church, built in 1810, for example, to see how much closer the Episcopal church had drawn to early English churches for its models instead of the Greek Revival or the Wren-Gibbs plan that we see in the Old First church a few blocks away.
     Upjohn would design several other Episcopal churches in the state, including Trinity church in Hoboken eight years later, which bears a strong resemblance to this, except for the absence of a tower.

National Register, of course.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel