authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Christ [Episcopal] Church
Newark, Essex County
This was a relatively early Gothic Revival church, built in 1848-50
and known then as Christ Church. The architect was Frank Wills, a leading
architect in the Ecclesiology movement in the Episcopal church, who
also designed the House
of Prayer on North Broad. It appears to have strong antecedents
in St. James the Less in Philadelphia,
one of the most influential churches in the mid-19th century. Note the
steeply sloping roof, the stout buttresses and the narrow, Gothic windowsall
elements that were to become common in this country. It was enlarged
with a chancel and transepts in 1871. None of that is surprising when
one learns that Bishop George Washington Doane, an early proponent of
the Gothic Revival style, dedicated the church and undoubtedly had a
voice in its design.
Located at 76 Prospect Street in the Ironbound
section, the greatly modified brownstone building is now the Pan American
C.M.A. Church parish center.