authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Belleville Avenue Congregational Church
Newark, Essex County
The congregation was a mission of the First Free Presbyterian church
which saw a need to offer services in the Belleville section about
The building, designed by William Potter, was erected in 1874 in the
Romanesque Revival style. It is essentially a rectangular plan with
two shorts transepts and a semicircular apse at the rear. Potter also
had a hand in designing the Church of the Holy Innocents in Hoboken.
In 1927 the building was sold to the Mt.
Pleasant Baptist church, and in 1930, to the Clinton Memorial AME church.