authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
South Park Presbyterian Church
Newark, Essex County
There's not much left of this Renaissance Revival building in the Lincoln
Park section of Newark. It was built in 1853 by architect John Welsh
and it is pictured in several books on American architecture. Lincoln
addressed a large crown from its steps in 1861. From 1974 to 1989 it
housed the Lighthouse Temple, and burned in 1992.
Church records include the following notation,
" Mr. Welsh, the architect, presented plans for a church to cost
about twenty-seven thousand five hundred dollars. By July 30, 1853,
contracts for the work were ready. David Henderson contracted to furnish
it stone, James S. Valentine contracted to do the stone-cutting, Jonas
Reeve the mason-work, Ezra Reeve the carpenter-work, and J.W. Rice &
Co. contracted for the painting."