The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Second Dutch Reformed Church
Newark (Ironbound district), Essex County


Designed by architect William Kirk, the architect for several other Reformed churches in the area, the Second Dutch Reformed Church was built in 1848, the year the congregation was organized in what was then a largely German section of the city. At one time it looked much like other Reformed churches in the region, but the steeple was removed and the portico added sometime later. It passed into the hands of the Catholic Church and was renamed Our Lady of Mount Carmel. No services were held in it between 1972 and 1978, when it became a cultural center. Recently restored, it is now the Centro Evangelistico da Igreja Assembleia de Deus.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel