The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

High Street Presbyterian Church
Newark, Essex County

  

Now the Saint James African Methodist Episcopal Church, this is a magnificent building in the manner of the English Gothic churches of the fourteenth century. It was built in 1852 and has recently been restored.
   In the 1883 History of Essex and Hudson Counties, the church is described in the manner: "The walls are of brown stone, arranged in ornamental Gothic style, without any wood on the exterior except the doors, the window sills and frames being of stone, beautifully carved. Four richly-ornamented pinnacles rise from the tower, and stone railing resembling vines run the entire length on either side of the roof. The interior is pronounced to be one of the most elaborately-finished churches in the State. The designs on the windows are entirely original, and were executed by a special artist employed for the purpose by the congregation. No two are alike, and the representations are true to nature."

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel