authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
New Brunswick, Middlesex County
Although the Anglican church was not attractive to the largely Dutch
and Scotch-Irish who settled in the area, New Brunswick was too important
a town by 1743 to ignore. The original church was erected about 1750
and the tower, which is original, was added in 1773. The church itself
was rebuilt in 1803 and the spire in 1813. The nave was again rebuilt
in 1852, very likely to conform to ecclesiology principles, under the
direction of New York architects Henry Dudley and Frederick Wills, both
important in the Gothic Revival style adopted by the Anglican church.