The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Mt. Tabor Methodist Episcopal Tabernacle
Mt. Tabor, Parsippany-TroyHills Township, Morris County

The Denville Camp Meeting Association was founded in 1870 and bought land near Denville on which it soon laid out streets and plats for a permanent camp meeting. Given the steep terrain it was impossible to put the tabernacle at the center with radiating streets as in Pitman, but the small green to the south of the tablenacle certainly made this area the focal point of the camp.
     Two other buildings were initially used for church services before this was erected in 1885.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2004 Frank L. Greenagel