The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Mt. Olive Presbyterian Church
Mt. Olive Township, Morris County

  

The congregation was organized in 1768, the same year as the local Baptist church, and the two congregations jointly erected a meetinghouse, which they shared until the 1850s, when each build its own building a few yards apart. There are only a few churches in the state with a full Greek portico—a Congregational church in Chester, Presbyterian churches in Basking Ridge, Allentown, and Mays Landing, and Trinity-St. Phillips in Newark.

This now serves as a private residence.

 

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2004 Frank L. Greenagel