The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Mt Hope Methodist Episcopal Church
Mt. Hope, Rockaway Township, Morris County

 

In 1868 the Mt Hope Iron Mining Company erected this church on Mt Hope Road north of Dover for the convenience of its employees. It was one of several such churches, mostly Methodist, built by the mining companies and referred to as "mine churches" or "miner's churches." The Mount Hope Miner's Church was erected through the efforts of the Mt. Hope Mining Company's superintendent, Richard Stephens. Though officially designated for any denomination, Stephens and his mining employees were predominantly Methodists and the church retained that affiliation until it closed in the 1980s. The church basement was utilized as the area's public school in the 1870's until 1885.
     The building is now abandoned, but it appears to have been used for other purposes in recent years. Much of the wooden details in the window surrounds and the cupola are in good condition (although they need a little paint). Given its history as church and school, this is a building that should be saved.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2002 Frank L. Greenagel