authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Second English Presbyterian Church of Amwell
Mt Airy, West Amwell Township, Hunterdon County
A few miles west of Lambertville lies a clutch of buildings including
the old stone tavern and warehouse in the background of this photograph
where provisions for the Continental army were stored. It later served
as an important warehouse for freight wagons operating between Philadelphia
and New York.
There are conflicting dates for the founding
of this church: a late 19th century historian (Snell) notes 1754 as
the date the first Presbyterian church was erected in MT Airy, which
he located in East Amwell, by the Amwell Germans. The first
surviving document, dated March 16, 1786, renounced allegiance to the
King and pledges allegiance to the government of the colonies.
There was an old slave cemetery west of the
church, the graves being marked with plain fieldstones and no inscriptions.
This building was erected in 1874. It's a shame it is not clad in aluminum,
as much of the texture and details are lost.