authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Saint Peter's Church
Morristown, Morris County
Saint Peter's Episcopal Church was organized in 1827, and this building,
the second on the site, was started in 1887, although it was not finished
for 24 years. Episcopal services in the area may have been held as early
as 1763, but a church so strongly associated with England would not
have been popular during the Revolutionary era.
The architect was Charles McKim of McKim
Mead and White. There is a Tiffany window in the east chapel. During
construction, a long wooden shed was built on the grounds; at one end,
18 stone cutters worked continuously during the cold months. At the
other end, two blacksmiths continually sharpened and repaired the stonecutting
Additional information can be found in
J. Elliott Lindsley, A History of Saint Peter's Church, published
One is prompted to ask of this congregation
is why it was so late in formation. The Society for Propagation of the Gospel
in Foreign Parts generally supported Anglican churches in all the county seats
and important towns of the state, including Johnsonburg (Warren) and Ringoes
(Hunterdon). But the Methodists and even the Catholics had organized here before
there was a formal Anglican parish. Very curious.