authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
South Street Presbyterian Church
Morristown, Morris County
This large Romanesque Revival building now serves as the parish house
after a merger with the First Presbyterian Church; the combined entity
is known as the Presbyterian Church of Morristown. This part of the
congregation was founded in 1841 by a faction that left the First Presbyterian
in a dispute regarded as theological, social and leadership, but which
other sources say was over the issue of slavery.
building, erected in 1878, replaced a vaguely Greek Revival building
on the site. The architect was J. Cleveland Cady, who also designed
the First Presbyterian Church 15 years later.