authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to
it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions
from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
First Presbyterian Church of Morristown
Morristown, Morris County
Founded in 1733 as the Presbyterian Church of West Hanover by portions
of the congregation in Whippany. The church was granted a charter by
the King in 1756. This Romanesque revival building, the fourth on the
commons, was erected in 1893. The architect was J. Cleveland Cady,
who did a similar church for a Presbyterian congregation in Ithaca,
There are many Romanesque Revival details, but the style has clearly
veered away from the style popularized by H.H. Richardson several decades
The history of this congregation is unusually well
documented by Diane and John Anderson in Celebrate: A History of the Presbyterian
Church in Morristown, NJ, 1733-1983, published in 1984, and the building
of it is detailed
Foster’s J.C. Cady and his Masterpiece - The Construction of the Presbyterian
Church in Morristown (1994).
The previous church, a large wooden frame building
of traditional New England design, had been erected in 1790. Its white oak frame,
from "timbers cut in the old moon," required 200 men working several
days to raise. It was torn down in 1893 and used to build a barn in Passaic county
(or in Harding Township—the sources are contradictory).
In 1840, the congregation was split over the issue
of slavery (although there were very few slaves in Morris county compared to
a substantial number in Somerset county), and a new congregation was formed;
see South Street Presbyterian church.
The congregations were reunited in 1925 as the Presbyterian Church of Morristown
and this building was refered to as the Church on the Green (although there is
also a Methodist church on the green).