The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

St Stephen's [Episcopal] Church
Millburn, Essex County

 

St Stephen's, designed by New York architect John Weller Priest, a leading member of the New York Ecclesiology Society, was erected in 1860. The congregation was organized in 1851. The style is a form of Gothic Revival called board-and-batten, popularized by Richard Upjohn. The interior is dominated by the open wooden framing of the roof support, a characteristic element of the Gothic Revival movement.

See James Lindsley, A History of St Stephen's Church, 1851-1963, published by the Rector and Wardens of St Stephens, 1963.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel