authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
St. Mark's Episcopal Church
Mendham, Morris County
steep pitch to the roof, the well-articulated entry porch, and the board-and-batten
style of this fine small church are clues that it was built by an
Episcopal congregation, which, indeed, it was.
It was erected in 1886 by and for the wealthy mercantile class that established
summer homes from Madison through Morristown to Mendham when railroad service
made the commute from New York convenient.
According to one source, its design came from the
same plans used for a church in Hudson county erected 50 years earlier, but we
may be permitted some skepticism
with respect to that claim, for neither the Gothic Revival style nor the board-and-batten
adaptation of it were in vogue in the 1830s in this state. Certainly there is
Upjohn’s manner here, and there are several of his designs from the 1850s
that were widely disseminated and adapted well into the 1880s, particularly by
Episcopal congregations. This congregation, by the way, was organized in 1872.