The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church
Mendham, Morris County

St. Joseph’s antecedents are to be found in an exquisite Episcopal church in Philadelphia, St. James the Less, erected in 1846, that influenced Richard Upjohn, and through him a generation of American architects. St. James the Less was based on a fourteenth century English parish church whose plans were adapted specifically to reinstill Gothic design in Anglican churches in “the colonies.” And it accomplished that task extremely well. The architect was Aaron Hudson, a local resident, who designed two other churches in town and several others in the area.
      Catholic churches in Boonton (Mt. Carmel) and Bound Brook (St. Joseph’s) share the same sharply pitched roofline, the symmetrical façade centered with a bellcote, and the substantial buttresses projecting from the front of the building that we see in this building, as do a score of Episcopal, Lutheran and Presbyterian churches in the state.


 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2004 Frank L. Greenagel