authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to
it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions
from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Mendham Methodist Episcopal Church
Mendham, Morris County
church, which was founded in 1828, was erected in 1833 but was altered
in 1851 in a Greek Revival manner by Aaron Hudson. That style
building had been sold to the municipality for use as a town hall.
It served as a theater, a hardware store and several other uses until
it was purchased by the fire company and used as a fire hall for a
number of years.
In 19__ the building was cut in half—horizontally—and
the upper half was converted into a recreation hall for the fire company.
It was a braced frame building, undoubtedly built of oak (perhaps even “cut
in the full of the moon,” which was the recommended practice
then). There is nothing authentic about the building anymore, but it
is interesting that even portions of an old church, when built sturdily,
may remain through all kinds of later modifications and uses.