Street Friends (Hicksite)
Medford, Burlington County
Founded in 1759, the schism (1827-1828) between the Orthodox and Hicksite
factions led to the erection of this building, just off Main Street,
by the Hicksite group,
which obviously was not in the majority. The building seems to be virtually
identical to the original meeting house, built in 1814 a few blocks
away on Union Street, which was retained by the Orthodox faction. The building does not appear to be in
use, but seems reasonably well maintained.
more information, see George Decou, The Historic Rancocas. 1949.