authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Friends of Upper Evesham [Orthodox]
Medford, Burlington County
large meeting house on Union Street, erected in 1814, became the property
of the Orthodox majority following the schism in the Friends in 1827-1828.
Friends in Medford actually began in 1759.
There are some
variations in the pent roof, and the addition to the left in the photograph
is later, but in other respects the building is clearly in the Quaker
This account from the Medford Historical Society adds some information:
The followers of George Fox organized the Society of Friends in
l759 at Upper Evesham. This site was the result of 17 deeds dating
l759 and 1852. The first Friends' Meeting was held in l761, and occurred
in a schoolhouse located south of the present meeting house. Elizabeth
Collins was the first recorded minister and served as same for 52 years.
In July, l812, a committee was appointed to consider alternatives to
the frame building. The first meeting was held in the new building
Feb. 15, l815, even though the building was not yet fininshed. The
worshippers had to walk a plank from curb to door. After the completion
of the meetinghouse,
trustees solicited contributions toward purchasing a fire engine. During
184547 lobbies were added, new porches were built and the graveyard
was enlarged. In l9ll, the old part of the graveyard was investigated
for old stones. The oldest one found is marked M.S. l759, believed
be the grave of Mark Stratton.