authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Baptist Church of marlboro
hundred dollars was willed in 1861 to purchase a lot on which to
build a Baptist church, but as there were few Baptists in the vicinity,
nothing was done until 1865, when a small chapel was fitted up.
A Sunday School was organized and soon enough Baptists could
be gathered to hold monthly meetings. A building committee was
instructed in 1865 to erect a house of worship at a cost not to
exceed $2,000 and by the summer of 1866 the cornerstone was laid
for this building in the heart of town. Revival meetings were held
over a period of four months and by the end of 1867 there
were enough members to organize formally.
The church is a large Greek Revival building, with
pediment, pilasters at the corners, and tall rectangular windows.
The dentils of the cornice are oversized, which is a nice feature.
By 1850 the Greek Revival style was out of fashion; it had given
way to Gothic and Romanesque for churches, but persisted here
and there in rural areas. Reformed and Baptist congregations were
notably partial to it. The Baptist church in New Monmouth (built
in 1855) looks very similar to an old photograph of this
building. The building later served as the Grange, and sometime in
recent past it was sold for commercial use and extensively remodeled.
It is a very nice job of adaptive reuse.