The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
Download a screen saver
Send this page to a friend

Send a greeting to a friend
Plan a tour of old churches
Bibliography
Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Ramapo Reformed Church
Mahwah, Bergen County



The congregation was organized about 1720 and this wooden church, in many aspects disimilar to the early Reformed churches of the county, was erected in 1798. Several of the elements of the front elevation—the symmetry and the narrow Gothic door and windows—are present, but most features are so attenuated as to be almost outside the traditional idiom we have come to expect of Dutch reformed congregations. This could as easily have been designed by a Presbyterian congregation, and indeed, the belfry is very similar to that on the Presbterian church in Springfield.

National Register.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel