authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
First Presbyterian church
Madison, Morris County
Founded in 1747, the Presbyterian
congregation in Madison is one of the half-dozen oldest congregations in Morris
county, all but two of which are Presbyterian; there are contemporaneous Quaker
and Reformed congregations in Randolph and Pompton Plains, respectively.
This Romanesque building with a cruciform plan,
known as the Webb Memorial Church, was erected in 1887. The rusticated stone
and squat squarish tower might be found
on a Gothic building, but the oversized arches and the round chapel to the right
of the entrance is clearly Romanesque. The plan takes the form of a Greek cross,
a most unusual arrangement in this state. The architect was J. Cleveland Cady
, who designed many churches and even a railroad station in Bergen County, generally
in a Romanesque Revival style that owes much to Henry Hobson Richardson. Cady
also designed the two Presbyterian churches in Morristown. The building is still
in use although the congregation erected a much larger church next door sometime
in the 1950s.