The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Lower Squankum Free Meetinghouse
Howell Township, Monmouth County

The earliest record of a service being held in the area is in 1793, but the church was not formally organized until 1834. The building was erected on a donated lot, which was common in that period, and was called the Lower Squankum Free Meeting House. “ Free’ usually meant that no pew rents were charged, which had been the common practice in most Protestant churches until the time of the Second Great Awakening in the 1820s-40s. Free also meant that the meetinghouse was unaffiliated with any denomination and was available to any visiting minister. It became a Methodist congregation in 1913. The church was raised at a later date so a basement could be excavated and room added for a Sunday School and other meetings; the tower and belfry are also later additions.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2005 Frank L. Greenagel