authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Methodist Episcopal Church
Methodist is a large stone cross-gabled church of a plan that
was common from the last decade of the nineteenth century through
the first two or three decades of the twentieth. There is an
almost identical Asbury Methodist church in Maryland, erected in
1923, so it is likely this was based on a set of plans endorsed by
the parent Methodist organization. The Methodist church in Farmingdale,
erected in the same year, although built of wood, is not
appreciably different in plan.
The main entrance is through the tower, which also sports a sentry
box oriel. The round-arch windows are all tall and narrow, and
all contain stained glass. A tall spire atop the tower was removed
in the 1940s. The Sunday School extension was added in 1898.
The congregation’s first church, built in 1869, was located across the street.