authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Branch Village was a preaching station of the Shrewsbury Presbyterian
church by the 1840s, and in 1846 land was purchased in expectation
of building a church. Two years later, the church was erected,
and served until 1855 when the congregation had presumably
declined, and the building was sold and later used for a
store. In 1883 several members of the Second Reformed church
in town petitioned to form a Presbyterian church. That application
was approved and the elders of the Second Reformed church became
the elders of the First Presbyterian church.
This is a stylish late-Gothic frame building,
erected in 1883. The asymmetrical plan, with two towers of
differing height, and multiple windows are characteristic
of the style, which may have been drawn from one of the several
plan books that were current in this era. Now encased in aluminum,
it was once shingled with contrasting trim. The building has
since been purchased by the Salem Baptist Church.