authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
Methodist Episcopal Church
fine little church is the congregation’s second on the
site, which was donated in 1822 when the village was called
Parkerville. Methodist meetings were held in the home of Michael
Parker, who lived opposite the lot where the church stands.
The first church was largely a donated affair, but the congregation
outgrew it by 1866, and two years later this 35’ x 60’ frame
church was erected.
It is a good example of what is called
a vernacular style in that it combines the outlines of a Greek
Revival church with a tall Gothic-arch window in front, and
some other elements of mid-
Victorian style. The two entrances are located at the corners of the front,
and there is a triangular window in the gable. The building is four
bays deep, and there are unusual vertical battens separating the