authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
United First Church of Amwell
East Amwell Township, Hunterdon County
The congregation probably got its start as a Reformed church in 1715,
but switched affiliation to Presbyterian, back to Reformed, and back
again to Presbyterian by 1818, when this large wooden frame church was
built. It was located central to its congregation, on the Old York Road
at what was known as Larison's Corner, rather than in a town, which
is true for many of the earliest churches in the county.
many other early congregations, it shared a minister with a nearby congregation
for many years. The church sits on a fairly prominent rise and can be seen
for miles, especially when approaching from the south.