The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Saint John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church
Lambertville, Hunterdon County

The first Catholic church in Hunterdon county was built in Lambertville in 1842, although earlier services had been held there intermitently in private homes in the area. The original church was built a couple of blocks away on Church Street. Between that church and the Presbyterian Church at the end of the street were a string of taverns and brothels. Land on Bridge Street for this building was purchased in 1880 with the connaivance of a couple of Protestants—purchase by Catholics of such a prominent lot would have been unpopular—but the financial condition of the congregation did not permit construction until 15 years later, in 1896. Built in typical Catholic Gothic Revival manner, its steeple is visible through alleyways and gaps in buildings for several blocks around.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel