The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

St. Andrew’s Episcopal church
Lambertville, Hunterdon County



founded 1732; built 1891

The congregation of St. Andrew’s is one of the oldest in the county, having been founded by the Society for Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts near Ringoes in 1732. The congregation in that location did not flourish, in part because of unusual rascality on the part of a couple of its priests and the hostility of the locals during the Revolutionary War to a Tory institution. When the original church burned, a successor was erected in Lambertville, only the walls of which remained after a fire gutted it in 1891. This building was erected in that year just two blocks from the previous church.



 





 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel