authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
First Baptist Church
Lambertville, Hunterdon County
The is the second Baptist church on the site and one of the few in
Hunterdon county where the architect is known, David Gendell of Philadelphia,
who designed a number of Baptist churches in that city, as well as the
South Baptist church in Newark.
The first church was built in 1825, the
year the church was organized. The current building, erected in 1868,
is 53 x 101 feet, and the tower is 85 feet high. While the front is
of cut sandstone from quarries in Stockton, the sides and rear are of
what we call fieldstonethat is, undressed stone. The church will
comfortably seat 400. The ground floor is dedicted to a lecture room,
infant school and library and the main audience room is
on the second floor.
Across the street is the home of John
Marshall, discoverer of gold in California (now a museum) and the even
larger St. John the Evangelist Catholic church, built about 30 years
after this building.