The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Kingwood Methodist Episcopal church
Kingwood Township, Hunterdon County


The first Kingwood Methodist church was built in 1816-1817, although earlier Methodist meetings were held in private homes in the area. On nice days, meetings were held in the woods nearby at a spot referred to as Pulpit Rock. The congregation was the first Methodist church in the county. This Greek Revival structure was built in 1860. It originally had a tall steeple that was removed after serious damage in a storm in 1878.


 




 

 

 

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel