The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Kingwood Presbyterian Church ("Old Stone")
Kingwood Township, Hunterdon County

   

Many counties have an "Old Stone Church," usually named to distinguish it from a newer wooden one. This church, built in 1837, is in exceptional condition. When the Presbyterians, who organized in 1738, moved out it was occupied for a time by an Assembly of God congregation and now by a Unitarian-Universalist group. The church regularly hosts a schedule of chamber music. The building remains much as it was 160 years ago; the side windows are original, whereas many churches followed later fashion and installed stained glass.
     A scholar once described the New England meetinghouses as buildings of endearing simplicity. That description fits this structure exceedingly well.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel