The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

St. Mary the Virgin Church
Keyport, Monmouth County

St. Mary's is a traditional Episcopal design for a small church—lancet windows, steeply-pitched roof, false buttresses along the sides, an entrance vestibule, and an articulated chancel. The entrance, of some kind of faux stone, appears to have been added later, although its design is consistent with the plan of the church, so it may also be original. Someone was convinced that the window treatment was a stylish one for it can be seen on three other county churches, all Catholic, erected within a year or two of this. The congregation originally met in the old Baptist church which burned in “the great fire of 1877.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2009 Frank L. Greenagel