The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Reformed Church
Keyport, Monmouth County

Dutch colonists from Long Island and Staten Island were among the early settlers in Monmouth County, although this Reformed congregation was not organized until 1848—almost two hundred years after initial settlement. It sits on a brick, not stone foundation and is clearly in the Greek revival style that was common in the central part of the state between the late 1830s and 1856. There are pilasters here instead of the more common two Ionic columns, but the recessed entry (called in antis) as well as the shallow pitch to the roof line and the tall rectangular windows mark it as squarely with the Greek Revival tradition. About half of the surviving Greek Revival churches of this style were built by Reformed congregations between 1845 and 1856. The congregation is now called the Community Church of Keyport.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2006 Frank L. Greenagel