The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Westminster Presbyterian Church
Jersey City, Hudson County

 

Bad things have happened to the exterior of this Gothic church, located at Summit and Magnolia in the Five Corners section of the city—it's once shingled exterior how has a layer of stucco, and any other architectural details and textures have been covered over. It was organized as the Prospect Avenue Presbyterian church in 1869 as a prayer meeting, apparently an offshoot of the Bergen Presbyterian congregation. They used the nearby Summit Avene Baptist church on Sunday afternoons until they built a chapel in 1871. Then about 1879 they changed their name to the Westminster Presbyterian Church and erected this building in 1886. It is now occupied by the St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox congregation.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2006 Frank L. Greenagel