The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church
Jersey City, Hudson County

St. Joseph's parish was organized in 1856 to serve the Irish laborers working on the Erie Railroad tunnel in the immediate area. This large stone church was erected in 1872-1873, but the architect is unknown, although the church is often attributed to Patrick Keely who designed three other churches in the immediate area. It apparently was intended to be the leading Catholic church in the city, as it sits within sight of City Hall on Baldwin Avenue between Magnolia and Pavonia. The interior is quite ornate and in excellent condition.


 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel