The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Saint Bridget's Roman Catholic Church
Jersey City, Hudson County

This large church, the second built by St. Bridget's congregation, was erected in the 1882-1890. The architect may have been Patrick Keely, who also designed St. Patrick's, and St. Michael's in the city, and about 600 other Catholic churches and associated buildings throughout the country. Many of his designs are Gothic-influenced and usually make use of contrasting stone for windows, door surrounds arches and belt courses—all of which can be seen on St. Bridgit's. The parish was founded in 1869, and their first church, a small wooden frame building, was erected in that year. Together with its school and other buildings, St. Bridget's today occupies most of an entire city block.


 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel