The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Lafayette Society Reformed Church
Jersey City, Hudson County

This red brick building once looked much like other Reformed churches in the region. It began as a Sunday School in 1863, and this church was erected between 1864 and 1866. It is a design that had considerable popularity— basically a Greek Revival building with a multi-tiered tower projecting slightly from the front. Here the architect-builder employed round-arch windows, which was most common, but you may find this design employing the tall rectangular windows characteristic of Greek Revival. It now serves as the Iglesia Christino Fuerte de Salvacis.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel