The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Saint Matthew's Lutheran Church
Jersey City, Hudson County



St. Matthews was founded in 1861 as a German Lutheran congregation. They either built or purchased a building about 1863, located on Fifth Street, between Erie and Jersey; the records are confusing and apparently contradictory. The current church, built in 1897, is on Wayne, between Jersey and Barrow, in what was once a very upscale section of the city. The building is of a fairly conventional design—a squarish tower on the central axis of the gable-ended church; the roofline is rather steep, characteristic of the Gothic influence, which can also be seen in the windows and the buttresses. There was originally a tall spire atop the tower. The ornate interior remains in a remarkable state of preservation. St. Matthew's sponsored several missions, one to the Lafayette area (Christ Lutheran) and St. Paul's.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel