authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
South Bergen Reformed Church
Jersey City, Hudson County
fine stone church, located at Bergen Avenue and Boyd, since 1970
has been home to the Cotton Temple Church of God in Christ. It was
in 1892 by the South Bergen Reformed congregation, which had been organized
in 1874. It could seat about 1,000 people, and at one time was regarded
as the elite congregation of the city. Sometime before 1907, it merged
with the First Congregational church; a telephone directory of 1910
lists both the Reformed church and the First Congregational church
at this address. In 1970 it was sold to the present congregation. The design is Romanesque Revival, with an emphasis on turrets and
towers, gables and rusticated stone.
to Vincent Romano for providing an essential bit of the history of this building.