The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

First Reformed Church
Jersey City, Hudson County

The first Reformed church built in the city is obviously the Old Bergen Church, but until 1873, what is now Jersey City was composed of the towns of Bergen, Comminpaw, Greenville, Van Voorst Township and Hudson City, as well as the Paulus Hook area that was the core of old Jersey City; so this church on Grand between Warren and Washington was the First Reformed church of Jersey City (Paulus Hook). It was organized in 1825 and built in 1853, and now houses the Russian Orthodox Church of Ste. Peter and Paul.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel