The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

First Reformed Church of Middletown
Holmdel, Monmouth County

The Reformed church in Holmdel was formed as part of the Old Dutch Reformed Church of the Navesink, (the Brick Church in Marlboro) at the end of the seventeenth century when there is a note that Dutch preaching had come to the area. Dutch and English services continued until 1785, and the church’s account book was first written in English in 1786. At one time they shared a pastor with the Old Scots church near Freehold. It became a separate congregation in 1825 when it changed its name to the First
Reformed Church of Middletown. This is the third church for the congregation. It is a large meetinghouse- plan building with separate entrances for men and women, classical detailing over the doors and the window treatment, as well as the belfry and steeple. In design it is similar to the 1794 Presbyterian church in Springfield (Union County) and the two
early Reformed churches in Somerset County—at Millstone and Blawenburg. The round windows on the side are most unusual, as are the two round windows over the front entrances. The detailing is a mixture of Georgian and neoclassical elements, and the tower and steeple, added in 1855 have some Italianate elements, and are nicely proportioned for the scale of the building. The congregation merged with the local Baptist congregation a block away in 1936 as a Federated congregation but that did not thrive and in 1968 the combined congregation affiliated with the
United Church of Christ. This building was sold and is now a real estate office. Many of the original elements of the interior have been incorporated and adapted for commercial use.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2005 Frank L. Greenagel