authoritative source on
early churches of New Jersey
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half
the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month.
We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.
to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
List of churches, by county
Links to related sites
High Bridge Methodist Episcopal Church
High Bridge, Hunterdon County
The Albright Methodist Church, a dissident sect based in eastern Pennsylvania,
built the first Methodist church in High Bridge two blocks east of the
present church, in 1854. That congregation dissolved shortly thereafter
and gave up the building, which was then used by Presbyterians, Lutherans,
Baptists and Dutch Reformed congregations. In 1869 this congregation
was established and they began building the current structure in 1873.
They used the basement for services in 1874, but the church was not
completely finished until 1879, owing to the Financial Panic of 1873,
which left the town and the congregation in some difficulty for several
years. High Bridge is an old town and a center of an important iron
works that predated the Revolution.