The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Methodist Episcopal Church of Hibernia
Hibernia, Rockaway Township, Morris County

The church was erected on donated land in 1869 (the year the congregation was organized) and the funds for building it were given by the Andover Iron Company, the Glendon Iron Company, a local merchant, and a number of individuals.
     The board-and-batten exterior is more common to Episcopal churches, and the window treatment is highly unusual. The Methodist congregation in Hibernia did not flourish, however, and in 1948 the Holy Trinity congregation began using the building. In 1969 it was purchased by the Lions Club for use as a library. There does not appear to be sufficient funding to maintain the building properly, which is unfortunate as this is rather different from any other Methodist church in the state. The paired windows, in particular, are quite unusual.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2004 Frank L. Greenagel