The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church
Harrison, Hudson County

This enormous church, completed in 1888, currently holds services in English and Portuguese. It was originally founded in 1863 to serve the largely Irish, Polish and Italian population of the area, and was then called St. Pius Church. The architect was probably Jeremiah O'Rourke, although some have attributed it to Patrick Keely.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel