The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion
Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Harmony Hill Methodist Episcopal Church
Stillwater Township, Sussex County

The congregation was organized in 1802, which is exceptionally early for a Methodist church in this part of the state. It was attached to the Flanders Circuit, a large one that required a journey of 400 miles to visit all. The ministers preached from eight to ten times a week. Until 1832 or 1833, meetings were held in private homes, when this stone building was erected at a cost of $1,300. The wooden frame tower and belfry were added in 1907.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.


   ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  

Copyright (c) 2010 Frank L. Greenagel