original St Annes Catholic church
John Street, Hampton, Hunterdon County
Founded 1859; built 1859; replaced 1866
This residence on John Street was built as the original Catholic church
in the northern part of the county to minister to the largely Irish
railroad employees who lived in the town when it was called Junction.
Prior to this building, services were held in private homes on occasional
weekdays. The church was converted to a private residence sometime after
the new church, a quarter mile away, was dedicated in 1867.