The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Musconetcong Valley Presbyterian Church
Hampton, Hunterdon County

 
  

 

 

  

 

 


In 1837 several families attending the Presbyterian church in Washington (Warren County) a few miles away decided they wanted to worship nearer to home, so selected a site just outside of Junction, as Hampton was then called. They met in a tent erected on the site until this building, of stucco over stone, was completed in 1837. Before the popularity of stained glass, most Protestant churches were well-lighted by the kinds of tall, clear windows we find in this church.
     The church remains unheated, although it is now electrified, so winter services are held in the nearby chapel in town.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel