The authoritative source on
  early churches of New Jersey

About this site
We've created a database and photographic inventory on more than half the 18th & 19th century churches in the state and add to it each month. We welcome and solicit all contributions and suggestions from our visitors.

How to use this site
Post a query
Respond to readers' queries
Consult the database
Annotate the database
Upload a photo
Suggest a church for inclusion

Glossary
List of churches, by county

Photographic notes
Links to related sites

   Photographic Inventory

Hampton Methodist Episcopal church
Hampton, Hunterdon County



founded 1871; built 1872; residence

A lecture hall was built in Hampton in 1872, and church records show a revival was held soon thereafter and many joined the Methodist meeting. This building was erected in 1879. When it was built it stood prominently alone three-quarters of the way up the hill overlooking most of the town. Today the building, with its considerably shortened steeple, almost gets lost among the local residences. In the last year this building has been purchased by a couple who intend to restore the exterior to its 1891 appearance.
      Snell says that “previous to the coming of the railroad in 1852, there was no village here," but, in fact, the Baptist church was founded in 1831 and the Presbyterian Church in 1836. The village was originally called New Hampton, but was renamed Junction after 1852 because it served as the junction of the New Jersey Central and the Delaware Lackawanna and Western railroads.

 

 

 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS  |  ABOUT US  |  HOME  |  BACK

Copyright (c) 2001 Frank L. Greenagel